Dog grooming tips for first-time dog parents. Dog grooming for beginners!
We want to make sure you are prepared for all your dog’s grooming needs. We will recommend a few grooming supplies and basic tips to keep up a hygienic grooming schedule with your doggo! So, let’s get started! What exactly do you need to get from your local pet supply store?
We recommend creating a personalized dog grooming kit for spa days with your doggo.
Here’s what you need to create your very own dog grooming kit:
- A comb — get a wide toothed comb if your dog has thick hair and finer toothed comb for thinner hair. Make sure to get a special comb for brushing out fleas and ticks as well!
- A brush — this also depends on your dog’s hair type so consult a specialist at the store or find an option that works best for your doggo.
- A pH balanced shampoo and conditioner made especially for your doggo — Don’t forget plenty of comfy towels too!
- A toothbrush and toothpaste for dogs! Remember, it’s really important to brush your dog’s teeth everyday, just like you do for yourself!
- You can get an otic solution, gauze and forceps to help you clean your dog’s ears.
- A clipper for your dog’s nails and an electric clipper for fur if necessary.
You need more than dog grooming supplies and dog grooming tools. Stick to a regular schedule and try our spa day process…
We suggest that you incorporate these habits into a regular spa day with your doggo to make sure that they are properly groomed!
Here’s a list you can run through for a spa day with your dog:
- Bathe your dog and rinse them thoroughly
- Dry them down with towels
- Clean their years with otic solution and dry them thoroughly
- Clear away any eye sludge and tears from the bath
- Trim their nails
- Brush their teeth
- Brush their coat again and add in conditioner
- Trim their fur as necessary
Now you are ready for a spa day with your doggo! Enjoy!
Want to learn more about dog training, dog behavior and dog nutrition?
Check out Pawsitive app to actually put theory into practice and start applying all this knowledge. The Pawsitive app helps dog parents raise happy, healthy dogs by providing community and professional support. We connect you to other dog parents and professionals. We are building a supportive dog parent community and we are better than dog social media! Stay accountable for completing wellness milestones with your dog and other dog parents, dog moms, and dog dads.